In February 2004, Facebook was launched from a Harvard dorm room, and by December of that same year over one million people were active Facebook users. Today in 2010, there are over 500 million active users on Facebook with the average user spending close to an hour a day on the site. Bob Dylan got it right…the times they are a changin’.
I’d never even heard the term “social media” in 2004, yet today – just six years later – Facebook and other social media outlets allow me to connect with thousands of USANA associates across the globe on a daily basis.
Thrive on five…that’s how I operate. So here is my top five list – the reasons I’ve become hooked on social media:
- Using social media is a wonderful way to build and foster a sense of community. I’ve always considered USANA associates my extended family, and now, through Facebook, blogging and Twitter, I feel more connected than ever. An added bonus: I can now put faces with names!
- It’s all about the links – and USANA apps are just around the corner. We can share information immediately and there is a plethora to choose from allowing us to customize information to suit each potential business partner. The follow-up can occur within hours. Closing that gap between knowing and doing is a critical element in building a thriving organization.
- It’s free! Postage used to be a major expense for Larsen Global. We’d send packages by priority mail nearly every day…newspapers, DVD’s, CD’s, product catalogs, etc. Using social media to introduce, explain and follow-up has increased our effectiveness while cutting our expenses. How cool is that?
- Social media gives us quick access to thousands of people. For example, if we’re going to do a webcast, I can dramatically increase attendance by posting a status update and tweeting fifteen minutes prior to the broadcast.
- Brand awareness. Let’s face it, the more we put the name USANA out there, the better for all of us. There is a rising tide of positive information about USANA on social media sites and it’s floating all our boats!
Now – a tip and a reward.
The tip: Do yourself a favor and listen to the 2010, Volume 7 LifeMasters CD. Tim Haran – USANA’s social media guru, Kevin Guest and Dan Macuga from our corporate team along with associates Kate Northrup Moller, Deanna Waters and Christa Maclellan all share valuable information on tapping into this revolutionary way to build your business and stay connected with your team. I also strongly suggest you check out the Social Media Tip series at whatsupusana.com (I especially like #9 and #15).
The reward: We are going to choose a few lucky readers that will receive a social media gift pack from Larsen Global. We are giving away USANA social media t-shirts, social media pamphlets, a number of the LifeMasters CDs mentioned above, and some of the new products USANA introduced at convention. We will pick random winners from people who press “Like” at the top of this page, people who comment on this post (let us know how you use social media), people who re-tweet this post, and people who share the post on Facebook. That’s four chances to win — increase your odds of winning by doing all four.